Tuesday, May 25, 2010

part three: back to the road, then not

So, this pattern of drive, construction, explosion, mountains, beauty continues for another 90-odd miles, then I arrive in the settlement of cabins and campgrounds at the far north of the park, Mammoth Hot Springs:





it's at this point that a friendly rodent joins our ragtag menagerie of wayward sojourners.

these are deposits of various minerals and things by the water, the lava and the general seismic activity of the park, they call it "Palette Springs":


after this, is the exit to the park, followed by this little tributary of the Snake River. Kathy told me that this river, formed by mountain run-off, is actually really warm due to the hot springs. Someday, I'll be back to check it out, but it was 40 and recently had snowed, so not on this occasion. Literally 100 feet later is the Montana border and my onward trek North. I drove through the lower third of Montana, which looks just like Nebraska, but with shorter grass and less water and it's all 4500 feet above sea level. When I stopped to get gas at the town of White Sulfur Springs, my axle snapped. Here I am currently. It's kind of a cute town, incredibly similar to Cecily, AK of Northern Exposure. One general store, one hardware store, three cafes and a pizza parlor. A beloved camp ground and a small park, where I sit writing this right now (thank you, magic of the internet).


Tomorrow, the new axle should arrive via UPS, and the Northern voyage will (hopefully) take a distinctly Canadian flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Canadian beans with canadian bacon? I'm guessing just the beans. Perhaps Northern beans?

    ReplyDelete

Tabletop

 I have been working on refurbishing and custom finishing discarded and "found" tables. It is really neat to see the junk get turn...